Peritol is an anti-histaminic and anti-serotonergic agent. The active ingredient of this drug is CryptoheptadinHydrochloride. It is a water-soluble medication.
Peritol is best effective in the treatment of perennial and seasonal allergy. It can be used in mild to moderate skin allergic problem also. This drug is supplied in the form of tablet and its rout of administration is oral. It gets easily absorbed in the body, that why it acts very fast.
Peritol is a generic drug and it is cost-effective. It is easily available in the market. Always consult with your doctor before starting any dose, because it is prohibited in some health condition.
Indication of Peritol:
Peritol is used in the following conditions:
- Peennial and seasonal allergy.
- Mild and moderate skin allergy such as urticaria, angioedema.
- Allergic conjunctivitis.
Dosage of perotol:
Peritol is available at the strength of 4 mg. dosage is reduced or increased depending on the age and severity of the patient.
- For 2-6 years children: 2mg (half tablet), twice or thrice in a day. Total dose should not exceed more than 12 mg in a day.
- For 7-14 years child: (1 tablet), twice or thrice daily.
- For adults: Therapeutic range is 4-20mg daily. Sometime it may be increased up to 32mg in a day, depending on the need.
Dosage can be adjusted according to the age and response of the patient. Consult your doctor before changing the dose of the medicine.
Drug interaction of Peritol:
Peritol may interact with the following drugs:
- MAO inhibitors (mono-amino-oxidase inhibitors)
- CNS depressant such as sedatives, tranquilizers, hypnotic etc
- Anti-anxiety drugs
Always confirm with your health care provider before taking any dose of Peritol if you are under any medication.
Side Effects of peritol:
Like other drugs, Peritol also exhibits some side effects that are very rare. These side effects are seen only in 1-2% of the patients. Some of the common side effects are:
- Nausea and vomiting
- High blood pressure
- Stomach upset
- Chest pain
- Dry mouth or xerostomia
- Loss of weight
- Loss of appetite
Some serious but uncommon side effects includes vision problems, allergic reaction like rashes, swelling on the lips, mouth, eyes, breathing problem may arise. If you notice such symptoms, call your doctor for urgent medical help.
Overdose and missed dose:
Always take this drug as per your doctor’s prescription. Do not take any over dose or double dose, because it can create unwanted complications for you.
In case if you take an overdose or double dose, call your doctor immediately. You can take the missed dose as soon as you recall it, but never take the missed dose near the time of next dose.
Precaution and Contra-indications:
Before taking Peritol, always remember some important steps as follows:
- You should always tell your physician about your health conditions, any medicines, prescription or over-the-counter drugs.
- Inform your doctor without any fail if you are under drugs like depressant, cold medicines, sleeping pills, narcotics or any muscle relaxant.
- Tell your health care provider if you are diabetic, hypertensive, thyroid problem or any other health issues.
- Make sure if you can take this medicine in pregnancy or breast-feeding period.
- Some patients feel drowsiness or dizziness after taking this medicine, so avoid activities that need mental alertness like driving vehicle, operating any surgical procedure or working with machines.
- Do not let your children go out after taking this drug.
|Strength||Cyproheptadine 4 mg|