Korlym (mifepristone) functions as a glucocorticoid receptor blocker. It is used in the patient with Cushing's syndrome to control high blood sugar levels.
Mifepristone comes under the class of antiprogestarone steroids. It functions by blocking the action of progesterone and prevent pregnancy.
Mifepristone is a synthetic version of steroid. The medication should only be used up to 7 weeks. It is supplied in the form of tablets or pills. This medication is taken with a full glass of water with or without food. Dosage should be decided as per the doctor’s intructions.
Mifepristone is taken by oral intake. Dosage should be prescribed by your health care provider. Always take it under the supervision of your doctor. Take this medication only after the confirmation of the pregnancy.
After consumption of Korlym, if you find that you are still pregnant or you have any doubt, then visit your doctor for other option. Your doctor may suggest you ultrasound for the confirmation of the pregnancy.
You should talk to your doctor if you develop any side effects, such as:
- Increased heart rate
- High fever
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal cramps and pain
- Stomach problem
- Vaginal bleeding
- Muscle pain and joint pain
Note: This list of side effects is not completed. You may catch some other symptoms. In such cases, consult your doctor immediately.
Drug Interactions of Korlym:
This medication shows some interaction with some medications. As a result, it causes some adverse reactions. So it is strongly advised to tell your doctor before using any dose of Korlym or Mifepristone. Some of the important drug interactions are:
- Drugs used in HIV
- Drugs used for migraine or headache
- Drugs used for high blood pressure
- Medications used for heart diseases
- Medications used in seizure
- Medications used for thyroid problems
This is a not complete list if drugs interaction.
Using Korlym or Mifepristone without consulting with doctor is not a good idea because it can create complications in some medical condition. So, some people may not be advised to take Korlym. Some of the cautions one should take during the use of this medication are:
- Please, remove the IUD (intrauterine device) if you are using any, before starting this medcation.
- Be careful, if you have any adrenal related problem.
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of taking steroids in the past or present.
- This medication should not be used if you have excessive vaginal bleeding.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking some medications like anti-hypertensives, anti-diabetics, antiviral drugs, antibiotics or any other medication.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any anti-coagulants.
- Do not use this drug if your pregnancy is more than 49 days older.
Do not take the missed dose without consulting with your doctor. He will guide you what exactly you need to do.
Take immediate medical assistance if you take an overdose.
Always Korlym should be stored under 30 degree C. Keep it out of the touch of children and pets.
|Generic||Korlym - Mifepristone|
|Strength||Korlym - Mifepristone|