Lioresal contains baclofen as the active ingredient which is responsible for all kinds of muscle relaxation. Lioresal main mode of action is not known fully but it is believed to inhibit both monosynaptic and polysynaptic reflexes at the spinal nerves which are possibly achieved by hyper polarization.
The dosage is totally based on the medical condition. The medication could be taken three times a day. In case of muscle spasms maintenance dose is 40 mg to 80 mg a day and the maximum dose is 80 mg a day in four divided doses. Lioresal dose remain in the same in treatment of hiccups and cerebral spasticity. Moreover to avoid any risk factor the physicians generally start the medication at a low dose which is 5mg Lioresal is taken with or without the food. The medication should not be stopped until assisted by your physician.
What are the various side effects?
The various side effects which are generally seen include drowsiness, dizziness, tiredness, headache and constipation may occur. Along with some general side effects there are serious side effects which are observed and it includes mood changes, confusion, depression and hallucinations. In case of severe side effects immediately contact your doctor and seek medical attention.
What are the some precautionary measures?
Precaution is the key to avoid any untoward happening of adverse events.
- Tell your doctor if you have any allergies with Lioresal or any other inactive ingredients contents of Lioresal which might cause allergies too.
- In case of any history of kidney disease, let your doctor know about it.
- In case of mental disorders such as schizophrenia and brain disorders like seizures or stroke, let your doctor know about it.
- Lioresal can make you dizzy or drowsy so avoid driving or use of any machinery after taking the medication.
- You should avoid any alcoholic beverages when you are starting with Lioresal.
- If you are undergoing any surgery tell your doctor about all the other prescription drugs and nonprescription which you are taking.
- In case of pregnancy take the advice of your doctor before using Lioresal
- As Lioresal passes into breast milk consult your doctor before breast feeding.
Concomitant administration of drug
The concomitant administration of drug should be avoided in some cases where the result could lead to some adverse events. For example
- 1. When Lioresal is taken along with alcohol is bound to increase to increase the drowsiness level to a great extent.
- 2. Lioresal should not be taken with alprazolam, diazepam and zolpidem as they are reported to increase the drowsiness and anxiety levels in an individual.
- 3. Lioresal interacts with cough syrups which are labeled with ingredients that cause drowsiness effect.
- 4. When Lioresal is used concomitantly with lithium resulted in aggravated hyperkinetic symptoms
What if you take extra medication?
In case of extra dose or overdose the symptoms may include vomiting, severe drowsiness, shallow breathing and seizures. In such a medical condition call your doctor immediately and if possible admit the patient in the hospital for proper care.
What happens if you miss a dose?
In case of missed dose you should take the medication as soon as possible. You should not try the missed dose if it’s time for the next dose. Never double the dose to patch up.
Where the medication should be stored?
The medication should be stored at the room temperature and should be kept in a dark and dry place. You should discard the medication properly after the expiry of the product.
|Generic||BACLOFEN (BAK loe fen)|
|Strength||Lioresal - BACLOFEN 10mg|