Norethindrone is a synthetic version hormone progesterone which produced naturally in females. This medication stops the release of an egg from the women’s ovary. It causes changes in the cervical mucus membrane and the lining of the uterus. This causes difficulty for the sperms to enter into the uterus. This leads to the complication in the adherence of the fertilized egg to the uterus.
Norethindrone is taken by oral intake. It prevents pregnancy by stopping the ovulation. It function is similar to that of the natural hormone called progesterone.
This medication should be stored at room temperature below 30 degree C. It should be protected from the sun light and heat. Always keep this medication out of the reach of children and pets.
This medication exhibits minimal side effects as compared to the other medication.
The recommended dose of Norethindrone is one tablet daily, which should be taken at the same time. Take the pill of this drug with a glass of water. You should take it after having your meal, at bedtime.
Method to take Norethindrone:
- You should have only one pill in a day.
- Start the medicine on the first day of your menstrual cycle.
- Do not stop to take pill if you have vaginal bleeding.
If you miss a dose of Norethindrone, take medical help immediately. There are many other safe methods of contraception. Do not take an extra dose to compensate the missed dose because it can cause side effects for you.
Like other medications, Norethindrone my cause some side effects. Some of the unwanted but rare side effects of this medication are:
- Irregular menstruation.
- Tenderness in breast.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Weight gain.
- Mood change
Contact your doctor immediately if you catch the following symptoms like:
- Swelling in the lips, mouth, throat, eyes and face.
- Breathing problem.
- Chest pain.
This list of side effects is not complete. You should tell your doctor if you catch any other problem.
Before using this medication, always remember some preventive measures to avoid comlications, such as:
- Do not use Norethindrone if you are allergic to any components of this drug.
- Tell your doctor if you have medical conditions like heart diseases, renal problem, hepatic disease, diabetes etc.
- Consult with your doctor before using this drug if you have a history of surgery of breast cancer, miscarriage.
- Avoid this drug if you are under the medications like Solfoton, Tegretol or Dilantin.
- Avoid doing any activity that need mental alertness after consuming this drug because Norethindrone can cause side effects like dizziness, drowsiness etc.
- It is advised to tell your physician if you have vaginal bleeding, extreme blood clot formation etc.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding before taking this medication.
- Avoid smoking during the use of this drug because it increases the risk of side effects.
|Generic||Norethindrone (nor-eth-IN-drone) Acetate|
|Strength||Norethindrone Acetate 5mg|