Symbyax is an anti-depressant medicine used for the treatment of mental disorder like depression associated with the bipolar disorder. It is composed of two medicines one is Olanzapine and another one is Fluoxetine. Olanzapine belongs to the class of antipsychotic medicines and Fluoxetine belongs to the class of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. Symbyax helps you to sleep improve your concentration power and mood, helps in reducing nervousness. It shows its effect by renovating the balance of chemical present in the brain.
How to use Symbyax?
Prior having the medicine read all the instructions mentioned in the leaflet. Regarding Symbyax take the tablet with a glass of water once in a day preferably before you go to sleep. You can have this medicine with or without food, but follow the same procedure daily. For better results take the medicine regularly without any skip. The dose of this medicine is suggested as per the condition of the patient. Don’t increase or decrease the dose by yourself.
- Initial dose of an adult patient is 6mg/25mg once in a day before you go to sleep and can be increased up to 12mg/50mg per day.
- Initial dose for paediatric patient is 3mg/25mg once in a day and can be increased up to 12mg/50mg.
What if I missed the dose?
If you missed to take the dose, take it as soon as you remember. But if you missed it till the time for the next dose, hop the missed dose and carry on with the regular dosing schedule. Don’t take a double dose to catch up the missed dose.
What if I take an overdose?
Never take more than that of the recommended dose. Overdoing of Symbyax can be harmful. Symptoms of overdose are seizures, loss of consciousness, and irregular heartbeat. Report your doctor immediately if you suspect any of the symptoms of overdosing.
Who are contraindicated for the use of Symbyax?
For some of the patient and in some particular conditions use of Symbyax is not safe. These particular conditions are
- Use of Symbyax is contraindicated in case of you have taken MAO inhibitor medicine in last 14 days and it is also suggested to not to take MIO inhibitors at least 5weeks after stopping the intake of Symbyax.
- Use of Symbyax along with that of Pimozide is not safe as it prolongs the chances of the QT interval. Same applies for the Thioridiazine.
- Use of Symbyax is not safe in case of pregnancy and breast feeding as it can harm the growth of the child.
- Use of Symbyax is not safe in case of hypersensitivity of Olanzapine and Fluoxetine.
- In the first week of treatment with the Symbyax you may feel suicidal thoughts. In that case discuss it with your doctor.
- Use of Symbyax for the children under the age of 12 years is contraindicated.
- Use of Symbyax is not safe in case of dementia.
Common adverse effects are sudden increase in the weight, dry mouth problem, sedation, and increase in craving for food, edema, fatigue, weakness, tremor, vision problem or blurred vision, problem in concentration, increase in level of triglycerides.
What are the food and drugs interaction of Symbyax?
The list of drugs that can interact with the effect of Symbyax is
- Anti-anxiety drugs like diazepam, alprazolam.
- Anti-psychotic drugs like Clozapine, Aripiprazole.
- Anti-arrhythmic drugs like Flecainide, Propafenone.
- Tricyclic anti-depressants like Imipramine, Desipramine.
- Water pills like furosemide.
- Antiplatelet drugs like Clopidogrel, warfarin.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin, ibuprofen.
- Other drugs like phenytoin, cimetidine.
- Antihypertensive drugs and Parkinson’s drugs.
Warnings and precautions
- Limit the consumption of alcohol as it can increase the chances of side effects.
- Avoid the use of Symbyax along with that of the Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicine as it can increase the chances of bleeding problem.
- Be careful while driving after having this medicine as it can create problem with concentration.
|Generic||Olanzapine and Fluoxetine|
|Strength||Olanzapine 5mg + Fluoxetine Hcl 20mg|