Protonix is a proton pump inhibitor. It is prescribed for the management of erosive esophagitis, caused by excessive acid production by the stomach. It works by stopping the synthesis of acid in stomach.
The active ingredient of Protonix is Pantoprazole sodium. It is taken by oral intake with a glass of water. It is supplied in the form of tablet at the strength of 20mg and 40mg.
This medication is best effective if it is taken in the empty stomach half an hour before meal. Protonix is available at a reasonable price as compared to the other medication of this category. So buy Protonix today only if you are suffering from severe acidity.
Protonix is easily absorbed in the body. That is why it works faster.
Indication of Protonix:
Protonix is used in the following conditions:
- Erosive esophagitis.
- Severe acidity.
- To relieve immediate heartburn.
Dosage of Protonix:
The dosage of Protonix depends on the severity and age of the patient.
- For adult patients: 40mg, once or twice daily (8 weeks in case of erosive esophagitis).
- For children of 5 years and above: 15mg-20m, once or twice daily.
Your doctor may change the dose as per the type and severity of the problem.
Drug Interaction of Protonix:
Protonix can cause interaction with some other drugs. Tell your physician if you are taking any other drug before taking this medication to avoid complications. Some of the drug interactions are:
- Anti-coagulants: warfarin.
- Drugs used in cardiac problems such as Digoxin, Lanoxin.
- Anti-fungal drugs such as, Ketoconazole.
- Iron suppliments.
Note: This list is not a complete list of drug interaction of Protonix.
Side Effects of Protonix:
Protonix can cause side effects in some patients. But, these side effects are not seen in every patient. Some of the common but rare side effects are:
- weight loss
- Nausea and vomiting
- Mild diarrhea
- Stomach pain
- Dizziness, Drowsiness and Tiredness
- Sleep disorder
Call your doctor at once if you develop symptoms like decreased heart rate, weakness, memory problem, hallucination, fainting, seizure or any other problem which is bothering you.
You should take the missed dose as soon as you remember about it, but skip the dose if you recall it near the next schedule. Do not take any extra dose to compensate the missed dose, it can create complication for your health.
You should always avoid an overdose of any medicine. Take medical assistance if you take an overdose.
Precautions and contra-indications:
Do remember these important things before starting a dose of Protonix:
- Do not take this drug if you are allergic to it.
- Avoid long-term use, because it can cause stomach cancer.
- Do not take Protonix if you are taking a medicine of similar components.
- It can cause bone fracture in older people if taken for long-term.
- Tell your doctor if you have any underlying problem or other medical conditions like liver disease, kidney disease, or cardiac problem.
- Tell your doctor if you are under other drugs.
- This medication is not harmful for pregmant women, but you should still ask your doctor before taking this medication.
- Do not take this medicine without consulting with your doctor if you are breastfeeding, because this drug secrets in the breast milk and may harm to your baby.