Zyban is an anti-smoking drug. It reduces craving of smoking, helping you getting rid of the withdrawal symptoms. Zyban is supplied in the forms of oral tablets and transdermal patches.
Zyban works by acting on the central nervous system. It functions by increasing the production of neurotransmitters like dopamine, serotonin and nor epinephrine that leads to prevention of their re-uptake. This increased production of neurotransmitter decreases the craving for nicotine and also helps you to get rid of smoking dependency.
It should be stored at room temperature and out of the reach of children and pets.
Uses of Zyban:
Before, Zyban was used as an anti-depressant medication. Nowadays it is hugely used as an Anti-smoking drug.
Method to use Zyban:
Always start Zyban as prescribed by your doctor. Do not Change the without consulting with your physician. Zyban starts acting only after 1 week. You should decide a qitting date prior to use this medicine.
The recommended starting dose is 150mg which should be taken once in a day for three initial days. Then take it twice in a day under the supervision of your doctor. You should not increase the dose more than 300mg.
Zyban should be taken with a glass of water. You can take it with or without food. The duration of the treatment is 12 weeks. Discuss with your doctor if you do not get any positive result within this period.
Zyban should be taken as a part anti-smoking treatment therapy along with other therapies counselling, psychotherapy or other supportive therapy.
Always have patience to get a positive result. Your doctor may advice you to repeat the treatment if you do not get satisfactory result in the first 12 months of duration.
Side Effects of Zyban:
The side effects of Zyban are very rare and occur only 1-3% of patients. Some of the rare side effects are:
- Rash, itching, swelling of throat/lips/ tongue, difficulty in breathing
- Hallucinations, confusion
- Skin reaction like peeling, redness, blue or purple rashes, burning of eyes, blisters on skin Very fast heartbeats
- Feeling very numb and ill
Common side effects are:
- Loss of libido (interest in sex)
- Pain in muscle
- Dryness of mouth, dizziness, nausea
- Changes in weight
- Mild itching and rash
- Sore throat
- Urinary urgency
Drug intercations of Zyban:
Many drugs can cause interactions with Zyban. You should always tell your doctor before taking any dose of this medication if you are under any drugs like vitamins or herbal product. Some drugs should be avoided with Zyban:
- Drugs used for the heart and blood pressure like metoprolol, propranolol, and atenolol
- Blood thinners such as tirofiban, clopidogrel, and ticlopidine,
- Drugs used for seizure like carbamazepine, phenytoin, and phenobarbitone.
- Drugs used for HIV and AIDS
- Anti-malarial drugs
- Diabetes medication
- Birth controls
Precautions of Zyban:
- You should always follow instructions of your doctor.
- Take zyban at the dosage given by your doctor. Do not alter the dose yourself.
- Patients, who are under any other anti-depression drug, should always tell their doctor before using Zyban.
- Zyban should not be given in a person who has any serious psychiatric illness. should not use Zyban.
- Patients, who are treatment with anti-depressants, should be monitored and counselled with proper care.
- Avoid alcohol consumtion during the treatment.
|Generic||BUPROPION (byu PROH pee on)|
|Strength||ZYBAN 150 SR|